Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Week 4 - Post 2: Content Fallacies

The fallacy I chose to explore was Phony Refutation. In this case, a person acts in a certain way or says something that goes against what they believe or are arguing in favor of. This fallacy argues that if a person acts against the argument they were trying to make, they must not support their own conclusion. Thus, the argument they made would be considered a poor one. I remember a particular example of this fallacy when I was taking Public Speaking during my first year at SJSU. A girl in my class was doing a speech on the negative aspects of red meat. She spoke on every detail of the topic from green house gases to the negative effects of red meat on one’s health. When she finished her speech, I asked if she was a vegetarian or if she at least refrained from eating red meats. She reluctantly replied that she did eat red meats. The fact that she argued the negative aspects of eating red meat while continuing to consume it herself made her argument appear far less effective at the end of her speech. Perhaps if she were aware of this fallacy she would haven chosen a different topic to speak on that she could fully support.

2 comments:

  1. I like your choice of fallacy on phony refutation. I was in the same situation while I was taking public speaking when we did argumentative speeches. One of my classmates claimed that using transportation such as a bike, the VTA, or the light rail is healthy for the environment instead of using a car. He stated that he uses his car to school when I asked him if he used any of these transportation. It was unfortunate to hear that he argued the negative aspects of using a car to school but claimed he uses a car to school when I asked him. His speech was not believable after his answer to my question. Nice job on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I also liked your choice of fallacy on phony refutation. It really caught my attention. It is true that supporting an argument that you are stating will make your argument more effective. Supporting it 50/50 will not do, people would not side with you. When people are trying to make their argument legitimate, the person should support it 100% also. It will become stronger and effective towards others. Saying the negative facts of red meat while consuming at the same time really defeats the purpose of her statement. Your post is a great example of what a phony refutation is. Great post.

    ReplyDelete