Thursday, September 2, 2010

Week 2 - Post 1: Subjective and Objective Claims

A subjective claim is a statement based on an individual’s personal beliefs or opinions. For example, my boyfriend recently took me out to dinner. As we received our food, I looked over at him and said, “Steak is disgusting. How can you eat that?” The steak would not look unappetizing to other customers, but it did to me. Thus, the statement I made was a subjective claim. An objective claim is a factual statement that is not influenced by personal opinion. Yesterday my dad walked into the house and said, “Wow, it’s hot outside.” Others would agree with this statement because the temperature was, in fact, much higher than usual. Because the statement was factual and not based on his opinion alone, it would be considered an objective claim. However, if my dad had made the same statement in 60 degree weather, it would be his personal opinion. The weather outside would not be exceptionally higher than normal, and most people would not agree with him. Therefore, it would be considered a subjective claim. After studying these claims, I have learned that subjective claims would be more effective in pushing an idea or trying to persuade someone of something. On the other hand, objective claims are important when passing on true and unbiased information in places like schools.

1 comment:

  1. What a coincidence we both use a similar example for Subjective and Objective claims. I also always argue with my girlfriend of where we should eat because she is very open minded of trying all foods and I am a very picky eater. So we always have disagreements because she wants to eat things that I don't like to eat. She always says I eat too much meat and my girlfriend would probably agree with you on the steak because she does not think steak is that good. But the difference is that I love steak. We always find a way to work out our differences even though we like different types of food. Really nice example for a subjective claim.

    ReplyDelete