Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 9 - Post 2: Usefulness of First & Second Course Projects

The first course project, “Critical Thinking in News and Politics” was helpful to my studies in many ways. When my group divided up the project sections amongst us, my job was to complete section “D.” This section required me to find a description in the editorial as well as describe the difference between a description and an argument. After completing this section, it was easy to distinguish between general descriptions and actual arguments being made in editorials and other articles. In addition, I was able to practice these concepts for the midterm as well as practice my writing skills when I completed my individual paper.
            The second course project, “Critical Thinking and Social Organizations” is proving to be effective to my learning as well. The organization my group chose to investigate was PETA. By studying this organization, I have learned how group use devices such as concealed claims and appeals to emotion to gain support for their cause. Furthermore, I have learned how to investigate the social issues the group claims to support. These skills will undoubtedly be effective later in my education when I need to research different social groups for other papers or projects.

2 comments:

  1. I also agree with you that both of these group project are helpful. The first group assignment helps the reader to take out arguments in the articles for better understanding. For the second group assignment our group also chose to investigate PETA as well. Using the materials we learn from the book and incorporate to investigating of organization was really a helpful experience. Also it help us with the understanding the materials that we cover in book as well. Anyway, this post was pretty good. I also find that both of these group assignments are really effective and improve our skills in group projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that both of the group assignments were helpful and gave us a better understanding. For the first assignment, I also did section D. While doing the assignments, I learned that the materials we learned in class could be applied in articles we chose. In the article, it made is easier for us to understand what the author wanted the audience to see. For the second assignment, using what we learned, we were able to examine the strategies the organization used to catch the readers attention. The skills we learned will definitely benefit us later in education and the real world.

    ReplyDelete